Dr Anthony Samson
BMBS BSC (HONS) FRACS FAOrthA
Dr Anthony Samson is an orthopaedic surgeon specialising in hip, knee, sports and trauma surgery, with a particular interest in hip and knee replacement. He utilises various peri-operative techniques to enhance recovery and achieve the best possible outcome for his patients.
Dr Samson consults at Flinders Private Hospital, Ashford Specialist Centre and Parkside, and is also a Staff Specialist for the Southern Area Local Health Network. He charges no gap for surgery on privately insured patients and bulk bills pensioners for consultation.
Dr Samson completed medical school training at Flinders University before embarking on orthopaedic training in South Australia. After obtaining Fellowship with the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (Orthopaedics), Dr Samson completed a hands on international clinical arthroplasty fellowship at the Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh. Not only did he further his education and skills in complex primary and revision hip and knee arthroplasty, he also developed an interest in improving Patient Reported Outcome Scores. Since returning to Adelaide he has continued this research and implemented outcome scores for the arthroplasty department whilst being involved in registrar training and medical student education as an Associate Lecturer for Flinders University.
- Hip replacement (including anterior hip replacement)
- Knee Replacement (including robotic knee replacement)
- Revision Hip and Knee Replacement
- Sports Injury
- Orthopaedic Trauma
- General Orthopaedics
- Flinders Private Hospital, 1 Flinders Drive, Bedford Park
- Ashford Specialist Centre, Level 4, 57 Anzac Highway, Ashford
- Parkside, 257 Fullarton Road, Parkside, 5063
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery
Flinders University, South Australia
- Bachelor of Science with Honours (First class)
- Diploma of Graduate Science
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (Orthopaedic Surgery)
- Arthroplasty and Revision Arthroplasty, Complex Hip and Knee Replacement, Cone Metaphyseal Reconstruction.
- Fellow of the Australian Orthopaedic Association.
- Staff Specialist Southern Area Local Health Network.
- Associate Clinical Lecturer Flinders Medical Centre
- Executive Board Member, Department of Orthopaedics, Southern Area Local Health Network.
- Optimizing Posterior Condylar Offset and Joint Line Restoration in Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty Using a Contemporary Implant System.
A Samson, D Hamilton, B Loh, G MacPherson, R Burnett. 2018. Techniques in Orthopaedics.
- Total Knee Replacement in the Morbidly Obese: a literature review.
A Samson, G Mercer, D Campbell. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery. 2010 Sep;80(9):595-9.
- A modified ulna transpositiont technique for Camanacci grade 3 Giant Cell Tumours of the distal radius with a cloverleaf plate.
J McClean, A Stevenson, A Samson, M Clayer. Techniques in Hand Up Extremity Surgery. 2014 Sep;18(3):135-42.
- A Pronator Teres-sparing volar approach for osteosynthesis of midshaft diaphyseal radius fractures
J. McLean, A. Stevenson, A. Samson, A. Watts, C. Constant
Techniques in Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery. 2015 Dec; 19(4): 138-42.
- Effect of somatostatin on electrogenic ion transport in the duodenum and colon of the mouse, Mus domesticus.
A. Samson., K. Hamilton and G. Butt. Journal of Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology (2000). 459-468.
- Lower Limb Arthroplasty Patient Reported Outcome Measures at the Southern Area Local Health Network.
- Mini-Open Lateral Patella Facetectomy, A Viable Treatment for Isolated Patello-Femoral Osteoarthritis.
- Surgical Management and Outcomes of hip and knee periprosthetic fracture surgery.
- 2018 Mako Total Knee BioSkills Laboratory.
- 2017 AOA Annual Scientific Meeting.
- 2017 AOA Arthroplasty Society Annual Scientific Meeting.
- 2016 Advances in Technologies and Techniques in revision knee arthroplasty, Triathlon TS Instructional Course. Edinburgh, United Kingdom.
- 2016 230th M.O.R.E. AMIS learning Centre, Tours, France.
- 2016 AOTrauma Course – Periprosthetic Fractures. Basingstoke, United Kingdom.
- 2016 Stryker Knee Cadaveric Meeting, Newcastle, United Kingdom.
- 2016 Corail Pinnacle Learning Centre, Annecy, France.
- 2016 Knee Arthroplasty, Trends in the 21st Century. Rome, Italy.
- 2015 Australian Orthopaedic Association, How I Do It.
- 2015 Australian Orthopaedic Association Continuing Orthopaedic Education: Hip and Knee Arthroplasty.
- 2015 Australian Orthopaedic Association National Trial Fellowship exam.
- 2014 Australian Orthopaedic Registrars Association Annual General Meeting.
- 2014 Australian Paediatric Orthopaedic Society Instructional Course.
- 2013 Lima shoulder Cadaver course.
- 2012 OTC Advanced Fracture Management of the Upper Limb, Knee, Foot and
Ankle Courses: Approaches and Management.
- 2010 OTC Intramedullary femoral and tibial nailing.
- 2010 Upper Extremity Fracture Management Instructional Cadaver Course.
- 2009 Anatomy for Surgical Trainees at Adelaide University.
- 2007 AO Basic Fracture Principles.
- 2005 Professional and Linguistic Assessments Boards Exam.
- Edson prize in Biochemisty, top Undergraduate student
- Awarded Post Graduate PhD Scholarship
- Improving the appropriateness of knee arthroscopy.
Southern Areal Local Health Network Convocation, October 2015.
- A comparison of K wire position in tension band wiring of olecranon fractures.
South Australian AOA Branch Meeting, November 2011.
- Total knee replacement in morbidly obese: a review of current literature.
South Australian AOA Branch Meeting, November 2009.
- Osteochondroma of the Trapezoid.
South Australian Hand Society Branch Annual General Meeting, 2008.
- 2016 Non-Athroplasty Hip Pathology, South-East Scotland Orthopaedic Training Programme.
Teviot Place, Edinburgh, United Kingdom.
- 2015 Flinders University Medical Student Society.
- 2011 - 2014. Associate Clinical Lecturer for the Adelaide University Medical School.
2011 and 2013, Citation for Excellence in Clinical Teaching.
- 2013. Lecturer for the South Australian Orthopaedic Nurses Association:
When things go wrong, Flinders Medical School.
- 2013. Flinders University Student Society:
FUSS Suture Workshops and OSCE.
- 2009 - 2010, Lecturer for the Certificate of Rehabilitation Nursing for Masters
Degree in Clinical Rehabilitation.
- 2007 – 2009. Lecturer and Tutor for MMED 8802, 8803,
Structured Clinical Instructional Modules and OSCE.
Flinders Private Hospital
1 Flinders Drive
Ashford Specialist Centre
57 Anzac Highway
Parkside, 257 Fullarton Road
Flinders Private Hospital
1 Flinders Drive
55 Anzac Hwy.
Ashford SA 5035